Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Thursday Post: Thrifting a dark outfit



This time's thrifting story is rather unexpected. I was in and out within the hour, picked up exactly 0% of what I went in for (a burgundy, velvet blazer like Bilbo Baggins, Sirius Black, or Hugh Hefner--mostly Hef).



Item the first: a cropped coat with a carpet print, Mandarin collar, frog ties, and stretchy cuffs. In a few words, it's a cardigan-jacket-waistcoat with a strange Oriental inspiration. Whatever.

This is a really weird, really cool kind of garment. It's very lightweight, much more lightweight than it looks, and lets me experiment with the trend of weird prints without going into the gaudy baroque trend that (1) is not baroque at all, (2) is completely hideous, (3) begun anew by the Prada SPR 27N, taken up by Versace, and proliferated through by vendors such as Black Milk.


The next one is a blouse that I was very happy to see. It's Miss V, Valentino, which is close enough for a commoner like me. It's very floaty, not as sheer as you would think, and very low cut. Like the shady Oriental jacket above, it has stretchy cuffs, and also a stretchy hem.


Behold! The proof is in the pudding.


The last item: a black pleated skirt that fits perfectly. I swear. It really does. It also does not make me look like a school girl.

These three combined make a very cool outfit. All I need are a pair of black Chelsea boots and I'm good. The total came out to be around $19. Not bad.

6 comments:

  1. Great finds! I'm digging that jacket, especially with the mandarin collar. Can't wait to see how you style these pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty interesting piece, to say the least!

      Delete
  2. That polka dot blouse is beautiful!! Love it...and I want one similar to that now. :(

    You got some great finds!

    *now your newest follower via agreader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post! i'm actually addicted to thrift stores.hehe :)
    drop by my blog too dear?

    xoxo,
    Rae \(^o^)/
    Raellarina - The Ballerina on Fire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thrifting is very fun indeed. I will certainly look at your blog!

      Delete
  4. Great items!

    http://giaa-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete